Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nobody Uses Or Needs Libraries Anymore!


I hear this often, "libraries are a thing of the past," "everyone will be reading only ebooks in 2 years," (they told me the last one in 2001!)
As I went out on Tuesday afternoon around 2:15 p.m. to see how my staff was doing, I reveled in the fact that the library staff was entirely too busy to speak to their director! TeenCrossings was full of computer users and students looking for book recommendations, Children's Place was full of children doing crafts, looking for summer reading books with their parents, and signing up for Summer Reading Club. "Surely," I thought, "the adult services staff will have time for me." But no, they had a line of people at the information desk, a room full of patrons looking for CDS, books, and DVDS. The "living room" was full of patrons catching a catnap or using the library's WI-FI. There were tutors at desks helping students prepare for the next school year. And of course the computer lab and check out desk were as busy as usual.

Your library is vital and breathing...not a dead institution. After only 2 and 1/2 weeks into summer reading we have 1400 students signed up! Through June 14 alone, we have circulated over 44,000 items! Visit us...be part of the excitement!

No comments: